Re: Debian Repository Question

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 05:12:16PM +0100, gooldi wrote:

> This is my first time asking stuff on a mailinglist and I am amazed at the
> speed of the replies :) thanks!

With so many subscribers ... ;)

> We are using OpenVZ for virtualization which uses EZ-Templates to create
> OS-Template-Caches (ie Debian). These templates are metapackages which
> depend on packages in the official repositories. Our customers have the
> problem, when migrating their system and rebuilding the template-cache that
> it doesn't work when the packages aren't in the repo anymore.
>
> The easiest solution to the problem is updating the EZ-templates.

[Disclaimer: I am not a Debian Developer and never built a package]

I think you need to define your dependencies like "package >= 1.2.3" and
not "package = 1.2.3", this would make your metapackages more flexible,
if this is what you want to achieve. I also think your question is
better suited on the 'mentors' mailing lists, which deals with packaging
questions, but please provide more and specific details.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)