Update breaks kernel, AMD AM2, 32 bit install, Testing

Working but recent Testing installation.

Hadn't done an update for maybe a couple of weeks, Synaptic, refresh etc. and do it.

Downloads and installs maybe 600 items, only message was about the kernel and a message I have seen on other installs, benign, except maybe not this time. Says it is installing the same kernel version blah blah.

Finished, no reboot prompted so I carried on doing some minor web browsing, few other things, then because it is usually a good idea, reboot.

Grub, boot, immediate kernel panic. Suggests reboot with APIC debug on... not sure that is possible with this motherboard and that fault. Also suggests reboot NOAPIC, try that, it barfs. The point is this system originally installed just fine, apt automatically put that kernel in without problems.

What is going on? The kernel version looked the same, only one kernel is installed (recent installation). Were no extra parameters passed by grub so this is basic stuff.

Only obvious clue is the presence of a known to the kernel BIOS strangeness to do with APIC and timers, handled by the kernel early on.

Any ideas?