Re: Downgrading Xorg

On Mon March 10 2008 21:54:26 Rich Healey wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On 03/10/08 19:37, Rich Healey wrote:
> >> This is my work machine so my usual tolerance for breaking stuff in the
> >> persuit of knowledge is suspended.
>
>  i was asking whether downgrading xorg *was* suicide, not offering it as
> a solution.
>
> I've downgraded smaller packages (moc) in the manner i'm suggesting
> before, but never anything as big as X.

It's not supported but it will almost certainly work.  We've upgraded
and downgraded between Debian releases and crossgraded from Ubuntu to
Debian.  Sometimes you have to tweak a config file and sometimes you
have to remove an awkward lump such as OOo and reinstall later, but
usually the problems are minor and easily resolved.

However, since you're coming from a state of mostly Lenny with just the
Xorg from Sid, you might find it even smoother to remove all traces of
Xorg and then just install Lenny's Xorg.

--Mike Bird