Re: Why is cups printing of jpeg images so slow. compare with windows

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Mitchell Laks <mlaks@post.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I have always noticed that when my  HP laserjet 1200 postscript printer
>  is printing images, it goes very very slowly.
>
>  i  use Foomatic/pxlmono (recommended) driver.
>
>  However for some reason,
>
>  at work the windows printers are very fast.
>
>  What is wrong. What am i doing wrong?
>
>  Is true of any web page with images - they print slow - very slow from
>  linux. Not so with windows.
>
>  Mitchell
>

>  --

Too many what if's, what are your settings, what browser/application
are you printing with, are PC specs, cable connection
(USB/LP/Ethernet), printer ram, document type, applications the same
between your PC and the work PCs?

First, Konquerer had (still has?) no ability to print in gray scale,
which will increase the print processing by at least 10-15 seconds.
Use Firefox/IceWeasel instead. Make sure your apps and printer is set
to render the pages as gray scale.

Is taking a long time to process (spool) the page, or once the page
is sent, the printer it self is slow. There is a difference :). If
it's taking a while to process the job before the printer starts, it's
the program you're using to print with, not the printer nor print
driver. I found Evince to be painfully slow with some PDF documents if
the publisher uses weird non standard fonts. Once it's processed, my
laser still chews out 36ppm.

Why not give the hpijs/hplip driver a shot. It's an open source driver
for HP printers written by HP. http://hplip.sourceforge.net/
Debian Etch/Stable offers 1.6.10, Lenny/testing has 2.7.10, current
version from HP is 2.8.2.