Re: thunar file manager (hal) vs. ntfs-3g

Micha on 10/03/08 12:12, wrote:
I have a problem with mounting external drives that use ntfs-3g. When I plug in
my external drive it shows up in thunar  but it won't mount with the error that
ntfs file system is not recognized (I removed the ntfs module since I need rw
support). on the other hand if I use pmount /dev/sdb1 it mounts just fine and
then thunar can access that drive (after it was mounted).

As far as I have been able to figure out, thunar uses hal for mounting the
drive, thus it is hal that doesn't know how to use ntfs-3g.

I changed the
file /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/20-storage-methods.fdi
before to handle this but it gets annoying since it is overwritten with hal
updates. Is there a way to get hal (or thunar) to use ntfs-3g instead of ntfs
when it is installed?

I don't know if it is related, but unmounting also used to give a lot of
trouble with this drive when it was working with an error saying that an
unknown error occurred, although the drive was unmounted correctly.

Hi Micha,

try putting your fdi file in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ to avoid it being replaced during updates.

I am not 100% positive that this will avoid the update problem, but it's a good bet.

Regards
Adam