Re: Personal backup of copy-protected DVDs

T o n g wrote:
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 03:53:19 +1100, Owen Townend wrote:

On 3/8/08, Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com> wrote:

My daughter want to make some backups of her games on copy-protected
DVDs.

Anybody knows how to do that with Linux?
  Have a look here:
  'Simple CD-ROM & ISO image cookbook.' -->
  It _is_ as simple as `dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/mycd.iso` but there are
  some
other neat cd tricks listed in the article.

Legal or not aside, the answer is unfortunately NO -- not under Linux.
Whether dd, or cat or other neat tricks listed in the article, they
are just not built to circumvent the copy protection, but become the
perfect victim of it. I.e., copy protections like weak sectors, SecuROM
*new*, SecuROM 4.8x, LaserLock and SafeDisc, they are just build to not
allow disk to be read correctly, even dd *claims* to read disks *bit by
bit*. Ref:

http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/media/video/dvdvcd/dv10-CDDVDCopyProtection/

Yup, I can confirm this. Took a copy righted cd game, dd'ed it and tried to launch it in windows. No go. It wanted the original game disk. And I think it is SecuROM "new", at least as far as I have been able to tell from Google.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com