Re: [OT] how to clean grime off old computer MB?

>> I have a couple of new-to-me old computers.  They've been well used
>> in what looks like a normal office environment and they're a bit
>> grimey inside; not just dust that blows away.  I figure that I
>> should clean that off so the dust doesn't act like a thermal
>> insulator but I'm unsure what to use, since air alone isn't doing
>> it.  I don't want to remove e.g. the CPU from its socket. (P-133,
>> socket 7).

You need to remove all socketed devices, and especially the CPU.

Cleaning presents a danger to the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.
Some chemicals quickly penetrate the seals and ruin the capacitors.

A mild concentration of dish detergent (not alkaline dishwasher
detergent) in water and a toothbrush, followed by a hair dryer (but be
careful not to get the electrolytic capacitors too warm! -- they can
burst!) likely is the safest approach.

I think that the use of alcohol might be a mistake.  At best, alcohol
would help get rid of water held by capillary action in the sockets,
but warming the board with a hair dryer accomplishes that.

If you have an instrument service shop in your town, phone or visit
and ask the technician what he uses.  Some do use a dishwasher, but I
do not know what detergent is safe for the electrolytics (as well as
safe for the pump seals of the dishwasher).

Years ago, you could purchase a gallon can of Freon-TF, which I
believe was safe for aluminum electrolytics; with Freon-TF, you simply
put the motherboard in a shallow pan and rinse or soak the board.

RLH