debian orca accessibility adventures; latest update

I got a clean lenny system using speakup and ran tasksel and selected desktop environment. At least 10 packages failed to install due to errors. Okay no problem because my next step was to remove gdm and all dependencies. It was recommended I use startx and then run orca and all would be fine. Fortunately I had sighted assistance to help today. My help ran startx and told me all came up normally. My help ran orca --setup and the computer remained mute. We got everything set up in orca and exited and found alsa-base package was still on the computer so I ran alsaconf again. I got an amixer error and later couldn't get sound working at all. This little exercise killed off my sound system and I don't know how to get it back to life other than to wipe everything off the system and do another fresh install. I'm going to do the fresh install to get multimedia back but I can't justify doing anything more with orca on debian because it's just too messy getting any accessibility working at all.