Re: [OT]: how to troubleshoot an optical drive in Linux

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 05:48:05PM -0500, H.S. wrote:
> In a Dell laptop, Inspiron 5160, the optical drive appeared to have died
> a few days ago. The disk stopped spinning, Fn+Eject stopped working and
> the button on the drive also stopped working. Attempting to eject lights
> the LED on the drive, but the tray is never ejected. I had thought the
> drive was dead (maybe the motor had died).
>
> However, it started to work a few days ago out of the blue! Today
> though, it has again stopped working.
>
> I wonder what is going. It is dual boot laptop. It started to work when
> the user was fiddling with Nero in Windows (it had stopped working after
> the user first started using Nero).
>
> Are there any tools in Linux which I can use to see what is going on?
> The laptop is long out of warranty so calling Dell is not an option.

To eliminate a software problem with the drive, the eject button should
work during POST and during BIOS screens.

To eliminate a mechanical problem, with the power off, does the
emergency eject hole (activated with a paper-clip) unlatch the drive so
you can slide it open manually?  It should close on power-on.  With it
open, check for foreign material.

An intermittant problem can often be an electrical connector.  I've
never even seen a Dell laptop so I don't know how to get at the
connections.  I don't suppose the whole drive is ejectable (like on my
old ThinkPad)?

Doug.