Re: VDQ : Which Debian?

On 2008-03-05 20:24 +0100, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:

> 	Is there some simple command to get a machine to tell me which
> release (of Debian in particular, or of any distro but including Debian)
> is running on it? If uname -a does it, I must be missing something ...

For distributions that conform to the Linux Standard Base, you would use
the lsb_release command, see

http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_3.2.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/lsbrelease.html.

Note that Debian in general makes no claim to be LSB compliant, and you
need to install several packages to make the lsb_release command
reliable (use "apt-cache search ^lsb" to see a list).

Sven