Re: Etch --> Upgrading X.Org to 7.2

On Wed March 5 2008 08:24:33 Carlos Parada wrote:
> I don't find X.Org 7.2 on Backports. Is there any other way of upgrading
> X.Org but keeping Debian Stable distro?

The library versions in Lenny are different, so you're unlikely
to get there by apt-pinning.  You may be able to get the 7.2
sources to build packages for you under Etch.  I don't know,
I haven't tried.  There may be compile problems.  If you go this
route consider skipping Lenny and using Xorg 7.3 from Sid - we're
apt-pinning Xorg 7.3 from Sid into most of our desktops and laptops.

> I'm so hesitant of upgrading to Lenny, I've heard there are almost no
> security updates aside from other disadvantages.

Testing has been very annoying this time around, with packages
disappearing for weeks or months because of compilations problems
on obscure architectures and/or debatable resolutions of dependency
conflicts.  Unfortunately we have to use Testing a lot as Stable
is obsolete for most desktops and laptops before it's released.

Stable is OK for most servers.

--Mike Bird