Re: Suggestions for improving ffmpeg performance?

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 08:52:02AM -0600, Kevin Monceaux wrote:
> installed from Debian-Multimedia.org.  Now, running Debian(Lenny), if I
> start a video transfer from my PC to my TiVo I have to wait for quite a
> while before I try to start watching it.  Sometimes the transfer dies in
> mid-transfer.  Watching my network switch I see intermittent activity
> between my desktop PC and my TiVo with two to three second pauses
> in between.  ldd shows ffmpeg is using the i686 libc6 libraries.  I tried
> rebuilding the ffmpeg package from source optimizing it for i686, but that
> didn't help.  Does anyone have any suggestions I might try to improve
> performance?

What happens if you run top?  Look at things like %idle, %waiting (for
i.o), and %sys (kernel executing) and %user (your program, likely the
ffmpeg program, see the listing for that line).  This may tell you where
the bottle-neck is.  For example, did the two systems uses the same
mount options for the filesystem?  Are other daemons running that are
interrupting the process?

Doug.