Re: Suggestions for improving ffmpeg performance?

Damon,

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Damon L. Chesser wrote:

I was under (it would seem falsely) that streaming from/to a tivo was limited to windows. I can access the tivo from Linux by IP, but I get no menu to do anything with it, just a webpage. I never looked into it as it was not that important to me. However, your question implies you can stream video from/to the tivo from Linux. How? What am I missing?

There are two options that I've come across. There might be others, also. The first is pyTivo, which I mentioned in my first e-mail:

http://pytivo.armooo.net/

It uses ffmpeg to transform various video formats into something that TiVo can play and streams said video to TiVo. But, it doesn't work in the other direction. It doesn't let one transfer video from a TiVo to a PC for storage.

The other option I've come across is Galleon:

http://galleon.sourceforge.net/

I suspect it provides many of the features that the Windoze TiVo software has. I've never checked into the Windoze TiVo software myself. I've only tinkered with Galleon briefly. With it one can transfer video from a TiVo(series 2 or greater) box to a PC. But, as for transferring video from a PC to TiVo it only handles videos that are already in a format TiVo can handle. It also has various "apps" available that enable one to do such things as accessing music(mp3, etc.) and picture collections on a PC from TiVo, accessing the PC's desktop from TiVo, accessing weather information from the net, reading e-mail, etc., etc.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX