Re: unix and email viruses

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 03:59:16PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> I debian or other 'nix suceptible in any way to anything anybody can put
> in an email?  I'm guessing that if someone comes up with something that
> can break e.g. mutt that mutt will be fixed around the same time as a
> virus scanner would be updated.

A few years back there were some exploits discovered using vt-100
escape sequences to fake keypresses and execute arbitrary commands.
See the thread at <http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/313007> for
more discussion. These holes have long been patched, but it's still
a theoretical possibility that someone could come up with a exploit
which would work for mutt.

I'm not losing any sleep worrying...

dt

--
Dave Thayer           | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA  | author is right there, in the room talking to