Re: Virtual Dedicated Server based on Debian Etch

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:04:30PM +0100, Simon Jolle sjolle wrote:

> Hi Debian Users
>
> I am searching for a virtual server/rootserver. I prefer a Xen instance,
> but also vservers are acceptable. Will be host a small Wiki - nothing
> mission critical.
>
> Here my criteria
>
> - - about 20 $ monthly
> - - payable with Credit Card or PayPal
> - - about 12 GB diskspace
> - - about 256 MB RAM
> - - about 350 GB monthly data transfer

For 20$ a month you're not likely to

Hint: check the address from which this is written. I'm generally
satisfied. But

> - - Console
> - - IP address
> - - about 6 subdomains
> - - Debian Etch OS
> - - unlimited fresh installations
> - - web based support

Do you want to managed setup? If so, you'll have some limitations.
If not, then you have unlimited domains, unlimited fresh installations,
and such.

I would not go for something that does not provide a remote console via
ssh or something equivalent. I use an unmanaged setup. The current
provider, as well as a number of others, orivides a very basic web-based
control panel that provides actions such as reinstallations of the
system from a pre-made image and reboot.

Debian Etch is a common guest platform. You shouldn'tr have a problem
finding providers that offer it. If you see a provider that still provides
Sarge and not Etch - you should probably stay away from them. A few
monthes ago I still saw a number of those.

Some useful keywords:

  vps
  linux xen hosting
  (if they offer linux, chances are they'll offer Debian. But the name
  Debian is much less common on the fetures list)