Re: microsoft vs opensource

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 08:56:41AM -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> >On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 11:07:55PM +0000, steef wrote:
> >
> >>maybe of some interest in a general sense
> >>
> >>ip_watch
> >>

> >>     Free, Open Software Supporters Advocate Against Microsoft Document
> >>     Standard
> >>
> >>http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=941
> >>

> >And this is news for you? Where have you been hiding in the last year?
> >
> >The article itself is quite confusing. Which is quite expected of a site
> >using a confusing name such as "intelectual property".
> >
> Just so you know: "intellectual property" is a well-known term of art
> covering such things as patents, copyrights,  trademarks and licenses
>
> It's sort of hard to have a meaningful discussion of open source issues
> if you don't understand the basics of intellectual property law and
> practice.

I'm not a lawyer. I'm a programmer. But I learned a bit about laws.
Hopefully enough to know when I need to ask a lawyer and what.

I know about copyrights laws. I know about patent laws. I know about
trademarks. I know about property laws. I know of contract laws.
I am not aware of any  intelectual property laws.