Re: Help for a newbie SSH and Aptitude

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 05:20:41PM -0800, Steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just run up my first linux box and I'm goin ok. Only thing is I
> can't get SSH running on it (to enable me to access it from a windows
> box using putty or similar).  I've tried openssh but of course that is
> a client.  Can anyone tell me where to start looking.  I'm guessing
> that it's a daemon that I need to run.
>
> Other problem that I'm getting is if I run aptitude or dselect, I get
> a time out when trying to connect to mirror.pacific.net.au.  It shows
> an IP address of 1.0.0.0 which would suggest to me a problem with
> named, however if I ping it, all is fine.

Try this in your /etc/apt/sources.lst

deb http://debian.attica.net.nz/debian etch main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org etch/updates main
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main

What happens when you do an update. IOW you could have a crook mirror.
If DNS probs, try the opendns servers[1]:

	208.67.222.222
	208.67.220.220

[1] Even got an ISP that couldn't access google, accessing Google again,
and fast -- what I thought was poor network performance must have been
DNS lookup problems!

--
Chris.
======