Re: DVD drive AWOL

> Well, the BIOS recognises the drive, udev isn't
> giving you nodes.  Is
> the kernel seeing it?  Check dmesg.

no mention of the drive in dmesg

> What do you have under /dev?  When you say the
> device node, do you mean
> /dev/sd? or do you mean /dev/dvd or /dev/cdrom?
> What about
> /dev/disk/by-id?

id for (now dead cdrom) was scd0 and for dvd was scd1

> If dmesg gives you the device name but there is no
> node in /dev, just
> use mknod and make it manually (as a work-around to
> allow the backup).
>
> As for a permanent fix, good luck.  I hate udev.
> Hopefully, someone
> here will tell you how to fix it.

thanks

sorry it took so long to get back on this one, but had
some issues to deal with on the home front that took presedence

jwlockhart

Registered Linux User #458799
Registered Kubuntu User #19678
this user is penguin powered