Re: Help for a newbie SSH and Aptitude

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 05:20:41PM -0800, Steve wrote:
> I've just run up my first linux box and I'm goin ok. Only thing is I
> can't get SSH running on it (to enable me to access it from a windows
> box using putty or similar).  I've tried openssh but of course that is
> a client.  Can anyone tell me where to start looking.  I'm guessing
> that it's a daemon that I need to run.

I think the other replies have already covered setting up an OpenSSH server but
here are some useful commands to help you discover packages...

apt-cache search foo

will search through the packages and list matches to 'foo'. Additional
information about a package can be obtained using...

apt-cache show foo

this will list the details for the package 'foo'. Its also worth mentioning
that the apt-cache commands can be run as a regular user.

It took me a while to find these commands but I use them all the time now.

Hope that helps.
Gavin