Re: Aptitude error: The package index files are corrupted.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 05:17:14PM +0800, Fan Liu <fan.d.liu@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> Hi all,
>
> I encountered such an error when I try to upgrade my debian lenny.
>
> Writing extended state information... Error!
> E: The package index files are corrupted. No Filename: field for package libdb4.5.
>
> As Ken Caldweel suggested, I checked the file /var/lib/dpkg/available , but
> haven't found any entry started with 'Filename'.
>
> http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug/2001/11/msg00358.html
>
> Anyone know what the problem really is? Thanks a lot.

  It sounds to me like your package index files are corrupted.  Have you
tried running "aptitude update" to refresh them?  That might help.  If
not, I'm curious what "grep -A15 '^Package: libdb4\.5' /var/lib/apt/lists/*
prints.

  Daniel