Re: HD problems

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 09:32:57AM -0500, Brian McKee wrote:
> On 27-Feb-08, at 1:25 AM, Zach wrote:
> >
> >Two day ago I suddenly got lots of I/O and read errors which went to
> >all consoles on my laptop (Latitude C600 running Debian testing
> >release with Linux kernel 2.6.18) followed by loud clicking noises
> >coming from the area where the HD is then the kernel panicked and the
> >screen froze and I then heard several high pitched beeps and loud
> >chirping noises like a cricket. This is the small ATA/IDE HD that came
> >with the laptop (~8 years old, Hitachi Travelstar 08K0851, 20GB). I
> >tried rebooting and it said it could not load the root filesystem and
> >complained about error reading disk  and  input/output error and I
> >heard beeping noises again - 2 quick very sharp beeps ~90 seconds
> >after it tried loading the / filesystem. I booted into my Ubuntu Live
> >CD and tried mounting the disk but it gave read error. So I went to a
> >local computer shop and bought another HD and installed it in the
> >laptop; I made sure the laptop had no power (battery is dead and I
> >unplugged power cord) and I used latex gloves and had the laptop on a

Latex gloves carry static.  Can fry the electronics.

> >wen table when inserting the new drive into the side of the laptop.
> >It's a Toshiba ATA disk, MK6026 GAX, 60GB, another $60 sigh. That
> >drive also gave similar read, I/O problems so I suspect it is a bad
> >hardware controller or maybe even the interface connection. Two drives
> >both cannot be read. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this
> >happening before (the HD is god but cannot be read due to fault in the
> >system's hardware)? I hope whatever is wrong didn't damage the data on
> >my drives.
> >

> It's odd that the new drive is unreadable as well.  It's possible,
> but the noises you mention make it sound like it was drive failure,
> not controller failure.

Drive failure then caused the controller to fail?  Heard of that often
on this list (as a warning).  OTOH, laptops are funny with "security".
Perhaps it thinks its been stolen.

> The best way forward you've already stated - grab an external drive
> case and put the drive in that to see what happens.   Since you have
> a laptop drive, look for a 'slim' or 'small' or 'portable' case -
> they are meant for use with laptop drives.  You'll know one when you
> see it - the box is too small to hold a regular 3.5" case.

Addonics makes them, ruggedized too.  Your choise of connector: USB,
Firewire, eSATA.

Have you tried putting the drive in the freezer for 24 hrs, then install
it and try before it warms up?