Open HTML file with OpenOffice in Gnome

I just completed installing installing Debian Etch I386 on an AMD64
computer. A Gnome user needs to edit HTML with OpenOffice, so I
right-clicked on one HTML file, and set it to open with OpenOffice. But
double-clicking does not start OpenOffice. Nor does it give any error
message.

Currently, I told the user to start OpenOffice, and open the file with its
file dialog. The user's home directory contains material from previous
installations, specifically Debian Lenny, Debian Etch, and maybe Ubuntu 5.10
or 6.06 LTS.

The Debian Etch is from the first CD of the third point release, with a
dist-upgrade yesterday. Kindly help.

--
Masatran, R. Deepak <http://research.iiit.ac.in/~masatran/>