hibernate makes the laptop hang during shutdown

Using Debian Etch, 2.6.18-6-686, KDE 3.5.5 on Dell Inspiron E1505.

If I shutdown the system (using shutdown -h now), then the machine hangs
when it is trying to stop the apache server or when it is trying to stop
the syslog (if apache is uninstalled). The shutdown process hangs only if
the machine has previously been resumed from an hibernated state otherwise
it proceeds fine

That is
1) switch off -> reboot -> shutdown works without any problem
but
2) switch off -> reboot -> hibernate -> resume -> shutdown  hangs the
machine.

I have looked in /var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog. They do not contain any
errors. Should I look in any other log files? Is there any solution to this
problem?

thanks in advance
raju
--