[OT] dialup: wait for dialtone

I have Telmex (Teléfonos de México S.A.B. de C.V. (NYSE: TMX))for local
phone service, <\begin rant> which provides the richest man in the world
with a steady income <\end rant>.

Telmex for local service gives you 100 free calls and thereafter you pay
through the nose.

We subscribe to a service (no longer available to new subscribers
because it clearly is unprofitable) that announces to you how many free calls you have left when you lift the receiver and disables making more calls when none are.

This service is incompatible with pppd AFAIK because that expects a dialtone right away.

My question: is there a way to make pppd wait <x> seconds before looking for the dialtone? Then I would be able to use it with this particular service.