gnome on lenny finally installed

I got gnome installed on a debian speakup-kernel and when I boot I go into gdm and get the login beep. I try keying in my credentials and get blown out. Now if I crash the gdm session and log in as a command line user with the exact same credentials there's no problem logging in and this is with speakup turned off for the login. When I ran orca --setup from command line I was told my display wasn't set correctly but orca came up talking temporarily anyway. It might be better to do log ins using command line interface then run some command to start up gnome later on at this rate. It's like there almost isn't enough time to get the whole password keyed in before gnome gives me the incorrect beep and allows for another try but I could be wrong about that one though. If it's worth anything I can log into ubuntu with orca on it fine.