Re: exim4 configuration errors - more details

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:15:51AM +0100, Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> On Monday 25 February 2008 23:38, Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have following errors when sending email to en external email address.
> > Note: pc34ghz.org is the local domain, pubmb.bco@pt.lu the address to test
> >

> > echo "my test" | mail -s "test exim4" pubmb.bco@pt.lu
> > 1JTluY-0001YG-5o <= bruno@pc34ghz.org U=bruno P=local S=337
> > 1JTluY-0001YG-5o ** pubmb.bco@pt.lu R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost:
> > SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<bruno@pc34ghz.org>
> > SIZE=1371: host smtp.pt.lu [194.154.192.108]: 553 5.1.8
> > <bruno@pc34ghz.org>... Domain of sender address bruno@pc34ghz.org does not
> > exist

Exim didn't rewrite the email to match the smarthost

> > 1JTluY-0001YJ-E1 <= <> R=1JTluY-0001YG-5o U=Debian-exim P=local S=1307
> > 1JTluY-0001YG-5o Completed
> > 1JTluY-0001YJ-E1 => bruno@pc34ghz.org R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost
> > H=smtp.pt.lu [194.154.192.108]
> > 1JTluY-0001YJ-E1 Completed
> Also, hereafter my file 'update-exim4.conf.conf' :
>
> dc_eximconfig_configtype='smarthost'
> dc_other_hostnames='pc34ghz'
> dc_local_interfaces=''
> dc_readhost='pc34ghz.org'
> dc_relay_domains=''
> dc_minimaldns='false'
> dc_relay_nets=''
> dc_smarthost='smtp.pt.lu'
exim needs to rewrite the address bruno@pc34ghz.org to bruno@pt.lu
or whatever the smarthost/ISP has assigned
> CFILEMODE='644'
> dc_use_split_config='false'
> dc_hide_mailname='true'
> dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
> dc_localdelivery='maildir_home'

You're using smarthost.  The usual (familiar) example is an ISP.  For
example, my local box is titan.hooton, my local email address is
dtutty@titan.hooton.  My ISP is porchlight.ca and they were kind enough
to give me the username and publically-accessible email address of
dtutty@porchlight.ca

Therefore, exim has to rewrite the address for anything going out to the
smarthost.  The exim package provides the /etc/email-addresses file.
Here's mine:

8>--
# This is /etc/email-addresses. It is part of the exim package
#
# This file contains email addresses to use for outgoing mail. Any local
# part not in here will be qualified by the system domain as normal.
#
# It should contain lines of the form:
#
#user: someone@isp.com
#otheruser: someoneelse@anotherisp.com
dtutty: dtutty@porchlight.ca
jhorton: dtutty@porchlight.ca

8>--

The /etc/mailname contains:

titan.hooton

Which exim adds to the local part (e.g. dtutty) to make
dtutty@titan.hooton which it then rewrites to dtutty@porchlight.ca.

Without further info, I'm guessing that something like this is your
problem.

Doug.