Re: changing the install location of a series of deb's

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 03:30:51PM -0500, richard white wrote:
> I have a series of deb's (actually openoffice.org) that I need to install
> under /usr/local instead of their default of location of /opt.  Can this be
> done without re-building the deb's?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Richard White
> (not subscribed to this list)
Hi,
the DEB format contains a tar ball of the program files, so you can use
dpkg options to extract that tar ball but this will not run the install
script or register the install in the dpkg database,
You can then use the 'equivs' program to add an entry to the dpkg
database. This is extremely hacky at best.
I dont recall such an option, maybe someone has a better suggestion.
so: 'man dpkg'.
-K
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|