Re: Why can't I scp inside my own router?? SOLVED, sort of ...

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 23:00:23 +0100, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 23:00:23 +0100, I Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:

> I have a new install of 4.0 on my laptop and want to scp the
> configuration for Alpine from my main machine to it.
[....]
> 	The prompt is that of the laptop, whose name reflects the fact I
> am just starting with Debian. [...] the ssh session is still
> intact. --

	The answer to a couple of other questions here is that I knew I
had made the command longer than need be; but experience has been that I
make fewer errors that way.

	Also, whoami gives simply 'btth' -- now. That's the answer I
expected.

	And, yes, I have known it help in the past to ssh into the target
machine from the would-be source, and then scp back to get the file.
Dunno why, but it works.

	Doing scp -rv got lots of messages; but it also cut even the ssh
connection, dumping me back on my main, source PC. When I tried again, I
got a different error: 'no route to source.'

	So I got into the router. Sure enough, the internal IP had
somehow shifted one digit in the last place. I suppose that explains the
new error; but why the IP changed after the verbose command, I have no
idea.

	So, what the hell, first off try again with the changed IP. Lo
and behold, it worked.

	This doesn't tell me why it didn't before, of course; <shrug> But
I got what I wanted -- this time.

	My thanks to all!

--
Beartooth Implacable, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
What do they know of country, who only country know?