Re: famd

On Thu February 21 2008 19:32:09 Jamin Davis wrote:
> Paul Cartwright wrote:
> > 	I switched to the alt-F1 text login, and looked for processes running
> > owned by me. All that I saw was famd.
> > I did a pkill famd, went back to my  KDE login screen ( ctrl-alt-F7) ,
> > put in my password, and voila, I was logged in.
> > Is famd necessary? is famd causing this?
>
> Can't see that famd would be causing this - see what you've got
> installed that requires it by doing apt-cache rdepends fam. ISTM you are
> being automatically logged out of your KDE session - have you got Kiosk
> mode enabled or TMOUT set somewhere in your login scripts? What happens
> if you disable the screensaver and 'require password' in KDE? Does this
> happen for other user accounts?

FWIW, I had famd go 100% on me in KDE twelve hours ago.  Haven't seen that
kind of famd problem since a couple of years ago.  No idea what caused it,
and I hadn't been swapping sessions with another user.  I killed famd and
KDE has been working just fine without famd for twelve hours.

A lot of KDE depends on libfam0, libfam0 recommends fam, fam contains famd.

--Mike Bird