Re: Debian Etch PPC install issue

On 2/21/08, David Shuman <d.shuman@att.net> wrote:
Hi;

I did a standard network install in a Oldworld Mac Performa 6400, install was clean - three times -- twice with a single root partition formatted Ext3 and once with an single root  formatted ext2 partition  (hda6 -- MAC HFS Boot -- hda7 -- swap -- hda8 -- root - (linux partitionconfirmed in /target/etc/fstab during install).  Copied vmlinux-2.6.18.. from /boot back to the HFS volume mounted at /target/mnt/mac (mount -t hfs /dev/hda6 /target/mnt/mac).  The boot after the install using BootX and the new Kernel and root-/dev/hda8 I got the following error all three times -- Invalid root partition 'hda8' or unknown-block(0,0).  Any assistance at explaining the issue would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey,
  I don't have a mac, but others have had your problem and solved it by copying the kernel onto the mac partition in /system folder/Linux Kernels
  See http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-3995.html

cheers,
Owen.