Re: Upgrade to 3.1 and next to 4.0.Two questions: security checks and disk space.

On Sat February 16 2008 09:44:12 am alexandre suzuki wrote:
> I want to upgrade to the latest Sarge r7 and then
> upgrade to Debian 4.0r2 and I am not sure about
> two things:
>
> 1) I installed apt_0.5.28.6 and aptitude_0.2.15.9-2
>   (from Sarge r7) and I don´t know if they do the
>   security checks.Check Release.gpg and then the
>   md5 automatically.I have the idea that only
>   apt-0.6 and after do that automatically,I don´t
>   have for example apt-key installed,and don´t
>   have a trusted.gpg file in my /etc/apt/
>   I have gpgv in /usr/local/bin which is on the
>   bash binaries PATH,is that enough for apt to
>   find it?

Not sure about this.

> 2)I only have available 700Mb in my hard drive
>   partition,so a global upgrade is not possible
>   because I don´t have space for apt-get to download
>   all upgradable packages first,and install
>   them next,which is the method used by apt upgrades.
>   APT gets rid probably of much of them after
>   install but it´s not enough for me.So I´m
>   planning to do so incrementally,upgrade a small
>   group of packages after another group of packages.
>   Is that the right method or is there a better
>   one I don´t know about(I´m not planning to buy
>   another hard disk).

Burn the sarge iso's and then add them to your sources.list with apt-cdrom,
then you will only download new packages since the iso's were created. You
could also plug in a usb stick or hard drive and
symlink /var/cache/apt/archives to it if it's big enough.

I suspect that sarge is quite a bit bigger than woody, and again etch is
bigger than sarge. Just how much I'm not sure but your 700 MB free space is
likely to get smaller on each upgrade. A fresh install might be the best
option.