Re: Cannot get PS/2 touchpad to work on old laptop

In article <[🔎] fpff29$l08$1@ger.gmane.org>,
Jörg-Volker Peetz <jvpeetz@web.de> wrote:

> Bob Cox wrote:
>> I have one small problem with a Debian install on with a very old laptop
>> (P266, 64MB, 800x600) which is badged as a 'Lifetec' but is really a
>> Twinhead Slimnote 9TE. It has a touchpad, or 'pointing device', as the
>> manufacturer calls it, which the spec says is a "TwinTouch II".  It
>> originally ran Windows 98 perfectly acceptably.
>>
><snip>
>> So far, all I have found which looks useful are the following two lines
>> in dmesg:
>>
>> PNP: PS/2 Controller [PNP0303,PNP0f13] at 0x60,0x64 irq 1,12
>> mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
>>
>> lsmod showed no obvious mouse module present, so I have done modprobe
>> psmouse and then tried again with gpm, but without success.
>>
>> I would be grateful for any suggestions regarding what to try next
>> please.
>>
>> Many TIA
>>

> What is the content of the file /proc/bus/input/devices? Try
>
>   cat /proc/bus/input/devices
>
> and look for mouse or touchpad.

Hi Jörg-Volker and thanks for the suggestion.  The only devices listed
are the keyboard and the PC speaker.

(As a matter of interest, I then tried plugging in a USB mouse.  This was
in console mode with gpm running.  gpm immediately started working and
re-checking /proc/bus/input/devices showed the USB mouse added to the
list of devices).

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.