dual head on asus laptop

I'm using an Asus laptop (m6a) with intel drivers for X and works great at 1280 x 800.

I want to use a second display only when plugged in. I have a few questions -> 1. does anyone know where i can poll the /dev tree to find out if there's a second monitor plugged in 2. does anyone know another / better way to find out if there's another monitor plugged in 3. does anyone know what the best way to configure the dual head is for this? using a second screen "newscreen" RightOf "oldscreen" in my xorg.conf didn't go well (entrance tryingt o fire up a dud X config every 30 seconds).

Cheers

Rich Healey