Re: icedove

Ron Johnson on 19/02/08 14:57, wrote:

On 02/19/08 06:10, Adam Hardy wrote:
Ralph Katz on 18/02/08 20:25, wrote:
On 02/18/2008 10:37 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:
And while on the subject of Mozilla software, icedove has started
crashing on me. Roughly every 10 minutes it would be if I was using
icedove alone all the time.

Where do I look for crash logs or other info? Is there an option setting
for logging more info? (I thought TB had a feedback mechanism, or is
that just FF?)

There's nothing in /var/log/messages

Nothing on mozillazine forum either.

Adam, you posted with icedove from etch.  Are your crashes only AFTER
the last security upgrade?  Take a look at bug 465531 and add your
comments there, too.

Doesn't look like that bug. I don't have problems starting or using it
for long periods. I ran it with strace following Ron's advice and after
sending a message (haven't established whether the email was actually
sent) icedove wiped out and left these skid marks on the terminal:

[pid 20496]
open("/home/adam/.mozilla-thunderbird/e64jwld4.default/Mail/pop.1und1.com/popstate.dat",
O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC|O_LARGEFILE, 0666) = 69
[pid 20496] --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
[pid 20496] --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
Process 20491 resumed
Process 20496 detached
[pid 23359] +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
Process 23359 detached
[pid 20498] +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
Process 20498 detached
[pid 20499] +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
Process 20499 detached
[pid 21585] +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
Process 21585 detached
[pid 23343] +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
Process 23343 detached
Process 20496 detached
[pid 20491] open("/usr/share/locale/locale.alias", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid 20491] open("/usr/share/locale/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo",
O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid 20491] open("/usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) =
-1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
[pid 20491] open("/usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo",
O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
/usr/lib/icedove/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 20496 Segmentation fault "$prog" ${1+"$@"}
[pid 20491] --- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---
Process 20487 resumed
Process 20491 detached
--- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---
open("/home/adam/.icedove/init.d/",
O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE|O_DIRECTORY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
or directory)
open("/usr/lib/icedove/init.d/",
O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE|O_DIRECTORY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
or directory)
Process 20487 detached

Another bug? Or my system?

Since you're the only one who seems to be having these problems, I'd
start looking at your box.  Specifically, bad RAM is what I'd first
test for.
Hmmm. So far it is only icedove having problems so I thought it would be more related than that. But I did have a weird problem over the weekend where I had to reset my BIOS to get the PC to boot.

Just testing memory now.