Re: bacula has a dependency on KDE?

Kushal Kumaran wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:22:36 -0500
Tom Allison <tom@tacocat.net> wrote:

I am trying to install bacula on my debian box to cover the rest of
my network.

I was rather shocked to find that in order to install bacula I have
to install KDE.  This is a first and something that, for my own
reasons and configuration, I simply must avoid.

So is there a way to get around this dependency between bacula and
KDE? There are so many packages involved I'm having a lot of
difficulty finding the offender(s).

bacula does not depend on kde (or any kind of de, in fact) in any way.
You might be installing bacula-console-qt, which, being a qt
application, might be pulling in some qt libraries.  Please post the
entire output you get when you try to install bacula, including the
command you use to install it.

I used aptitude to select 'bacula' and all of KDE came along for the ride.

I ended up installing bacula via 'apt-get' and slowing working my way through the packags. There's a serious installation bug in the bacula-sd packages through. There seems to be a required device name that's not provided in the installation process and, since this causes bacula-sd not to start, it fails all dependencies on bacula-sd.