Re: Changed device for camera..

> On 02/17/08 00:54, Charlie wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008, Kushal Kumaran shared this with us all:
>>> --} On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:34:41 +1100
>>> --} Charlie <ariestao@clearmail.com.au> wrote:
>>> --}
>>> --} > Something changed after this mornings upgrade.
>>> --} >
>>> --} > My camera entry in /etc/fstab has always been:
>>> --} > /dev/sda1	/cam		vfat
>>> --} > rw,user,noauto	0	0
>>> --} >
>>> --} > Mounted it as "mount /cam" yesterday afternoon - but I couldn't
>>> mount
>>> --} > it after this mornings upgrade for Debian testing with any
>>> command.
>>> --} >
>>> --} > Had to change the fstab entry to:
>>> --} > /dev/sdb1	/cam		vfat
>>> --} > rw,user,noauto	0	0
>>> --} >
>>> --} > Just in case someone else might have difficulty.
>>> --} >
>>> --} > My flash drive still mounts as /dev/sda
>>> --} >
>>> --}
>>> --} You can switch to specifying device names using id or uuid instead.
>>> --} Then you'll never need to worry about device names like sda or sdb.
>>> --} See the /dev/disk/by-id and /dev/disk/by-uuid directories, with the
>>> --} camera connected.
>>> --}
>>> --} --
>>> --} Kushal
>>
>> Thank you Kushal.
>>
>> I can't get that to work no matter how I enter the device in /etc/fstab
>> and
>> reading the posts on the subject. But will try again later.
>
> Are you a console junkie, or use a lighter wm, like ratpoison, fvwm,
> etc?
>
> - --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA  USA

Not certain?

I don't know enough.

I use icewm and have used others like roxfiler and love KDE and have it on
my partners lappy. For me if I get a bit jaded with one or another of
these I just jump to something else. I am a bit of an opportunist, just
work with what I feel like at the moment. There is always a shell or two
on one of the desktops and just use whatever. Get into my system through
the shell, though my partner asks why I bother, so do I? But it just keeps
my hand in I reckon.

So not certain what I am, probably just a Debian junkie. :-) Though it was
Mandrake, Red Hat, Slackware and others all on one box when I started out
with Linux, just to see what I liked. Didn't use Debian till Woody.

Am at the Internet kiosk that I volunteer at with my nomadic lappy today,
so can't try the stuff above. This morning before leaving home was too
busy to have another crack at it.

Try again when I get home. Am almost certain I just don't have the syntax
right that's all. A bit more reading and it will all come together I'm
certain. It usually does, though I have to work at some problems quite a
bit when time permits in some instances. It's all fixable one way or
another.

Being garrulous because I have some time, no customers at the moment, but
I have a class this afternoon.

Be well,
Charlie