Re: sata and esata: trouble

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 02/14/08 15:36, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 03:20:44PM -0500, S Scharf wrote:
On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>
1.      for boot, the kernel command line has to be root=LABEL=[label]

2.      for /etc/fstab, change referennces to e.g. /dev/sda1 to
LABEL=[label].

I think thats the wrong solution. That will fix the boot, but sda might be
the external disk and
sdb the internal one.

I believe you can write  a udev rule to force the internal disk to sda
Why would he need that as long as the correct drive is mounted at the correct mount point?

Correct.  Have grub (or lilo) boot based on label, not by /dev/sd?.

I stand to be corrected here, but I modified legacy Grub to be able to boot based on label: that is not possible AFAIK with the Debian version: you have to specify:

root   (hd<x>,<y>)

And I changed that to:

find            /<file name>
root            FILE=/<file name>

So now you can use labels *only*.

It is reported that grub2 allows you to do this with scripts, but I had bad luck (TM) with using that in Sid.

Hugo