Re: [OT] things to look for in a flatpanel monitor

On 2/15/08, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> So why would anybody give up a 21" CRT?  Sure you need a bigger desk,
> but isn't that good for the ego too?

Well, if the tube or electronics go south in the thing, then you have
to give it up, or else get it repaired :(. I've had 2 monitors go
south on me, first a 15" sampo (this about 10 years ago or so), it
didn't last very long, and I was quoted a horrendous repair bill and
told the guy I wasn't interested in repairing it. Evidently some
component in the microprocessor board fried, and they needed to
replace the whole subassembly and not just the one fried part.

My 17" Nokia lasted me for many years but it too gave up the ghost as
it would automatically shut down at the worst times (like when typing
in an email).

So I got a cheap monitor (I'm not using it ATM, so don't recall the
model #) for like $50 locally and it works, but it's also very hard to
read.

But I got this latest monitor - it's a ViewSonic E90 17" and it's
absolutely wonderful - it feels like it may be a 19" resolution-wise.
And I got it for free (swap) too.

I doubt I'll be switching anytime soon. There's little room on my desk
for anything bigger, so barring any unforeseen electronic glitches, I
hope I'll be using this monitor for some time to come.