Re: confused about web servers

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 08:48:50AM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> Allan Wind wrote:
>> On 2008-02-14T19:53:13-0500, Steve Kleene wrote:
>>> Can someone here explain why the choice of web server determines whether the
>>> movie plays or not?  I would have thought that the web server would just copy
>>> the WMV file to the browser, which would then decide whether to play it or
>>> display it as text.
>>
>> The web servers probably returned different content types, and the browser
>> behaves differently based on that.
>>

> This is somewhat OT, but I actually wish there was some way to *make*
> iceweasel display something as text? I sorely miss that bit of
> functionality.

I second that. It's particularly annoying on a foreign machine that
may not have things setup properly. nothing like gnome trying to use
less to view a text file and having it die because it's not in a
terminal. THere should be a "force to open as text in new tab" option
in the ol' right click menu...