Re: New User- Network Problem

On Fri February 15 2008, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > /etc/resolv.conf:
> > nameserver 192.168.10.1
> >

> What box is this^^^^^^?

that is my netgear wireless router WGR614 V6

> >  :/etc# cat networks
> > default               0.0.0.0
> > loopback      127.0.0.0
> > link-local    169.254.0.0
>

>  what is this   ^^^^^^^

beats the H&LL out of me!

> It sounds like your box has conflicting config tools installed.  If you
> are using dhcp, then you can't go making up nameserver lines that don't
> match or you won't have DNS.

I don't remember doing anything except the normal install. This is a Dell
desktop I bought back about a year ago. Duo-Core pentium, only 1 network
card.

> There are many possible ways to configure the network.  You have to
> choose one way, announce that way to us, so that only those of us
> familiar with your method can help.  Most of us here know about the
> 'geeky" way (as someone put it) with just the plain files.  If you use a
> GUI tool, then either remove it (them) or tell us what you want to use.
> Don't mix and match or it won't work.

I've used VI for over 25 years, used to do UNIX admin for AT&T way back when
3B2's were around and we put UNIX Sys V/386 on intel boxes.. I don't use GUI
tools if I can help it.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800