Re: locks and shutdown policy; was Re: stale lockfile on fetchmail.

Andrew, Ron, Tzafrir and others,

Thanks for the clarifications.

At Mon, 11 Feb 2008 19:14:58 -0800
as-w> ... fetchmail being killed in a nasty way ...

We're still not exactly certain how the stale lock
comes to exist but ...

At Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:11:39 +0000
tc> fetchmail is a daemon, ...
tc> fetchmail cleans that stale lock on (its) startup.

System startup or my login invoking a fork of fetchmail?

The user can remove the stale lock but a daemon
should be able to run without intervention.

Seems that the maintainer should be examining design
of the locking mechanism.  Reimplementation may be
necessary.

Unless we've overlooked something, this justifies a
bug report.

Thanks,            ... Peter E.

 http://carnot.yi.org/