Firewall suggestions?

Greetings!

It seems the time has come to build a dedicated
firewall machine for myself. The win 2k machine I have
been using is getting too flaky.

I have a P-II HP box that was a pretty solid performer
that I think will do for the hardware. (Agree/disagree?)

I need some suggestions for the firewall software,
running on Debian, of course! No sense reinventing the
wheel.

I need something that either includes http/ftp proxy or
something else that will provide that service. Also
socks 4/5 and probably a virus/adware scanner too.

Thanks for any suggestions and/or pointers to recent
resources on the subject!

TIA!
Dennis