Re: Bad E-mail setup in office. I need advice

On 02/12/08 05:01, Mihira Fernando wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:

>> [snip]
>>>>
>>> If ISP offers IMAP, configure mail clients all work stations to use IMAP
>>> to access the email box at the ISP.
>>
>> An idea, but no business in it's right mind wants to leave email out
>> of it's control.
>>
>>> If no IMAP is offered, next easiest to do is to enable the "keep mail on
>>> server" option in the POP3 settings and configure all work stations to
>>> use POP3. In ALL works stations enable the "Keep mail on server" option.
>>
>> Oh puh-leeze.
>>
>> There's a *reason* POP is the *Post Office* Protocol.  Do people
>> with snail mail post office boxes leave their mail in their P.O.
>> box?  No.  They grab it and bring it home/to the office.
>>
>>> Otherwise a local mail server is the solution but it is a bit more
>>> complex than the above two methods.
> Now where's your wise cracks for this option hmm ?
>>>
>>> Mihira.
>>>

> The OP asked for suggestions. I offer 2 which are extremely easy to
> setup options that can and is being used with minimum hassle. How viable
> it is for his office, is up to the OP to decide.
>
> Using a local mail store is indeed the best solution but it is more
> complex. once again its up to the OP to decide which method to use.
> He may have adequate mailbox space at his ISP and he may not have a
> problem with his mail sitting at the  mailbox at his ISP either.
> We dont know either case so why speculate on it ?
> After all he asked for options, and my first 2 options are the easiest
> to set up. It doesn't reek with geekness but maybe the OP doesn't need a
> solution that has uber geek written all over it ?

Setting up a Unix box with fetchmail, a modern MTA, spamfilter and
mail filter, and an imap server is (surprisingly) stupendously
simple for any Debian user who has basic CLI comfort, can follow
directions and has progressed beyond point-and-drool.

I say this because following simple instructions from a web-site*, I
set up a similar system 3 years ago, and it's been working
maintenance-free since then.

Compiling all the apps from source, and then writing the .conf files
from scratch is probably daunting to a non-expert, but Debian (of
course, I really mean the Debian Developers who do all the work)
make difficult technical tasks easier than baking a box-mix cake.

* The link to which I pasted earlier in this thread.

> My suggestions are valid. Even you have to agree on that (even though
> they may not be sleek solutions).
> Let the OP judge for himself which method he wants to use.
>
> Mihira.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA