Re: Bad E-mail setup in office. I need advice

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 05:35:21PM +0200, Dawn Light wrote:

> In a landscape architecture office, there are several Windows XP
>  workstations for the architects to do their design work with. One of
>  those workstations has a common E-mail client installed which works
>  with one E-mail account provided by the ISP. It receives from it
>  using POP3 and sends to it using SMTP, as commonly done.

do you have a debian machine that you want to use for this purpose? Or
are you asking debian people for a solution to implement on a windows
platform?

> Some incoming messages are "adressed" to the office and some are
>"addressed" to the various architects ( There is only one E-mail
>address). Thus anyone who wishes to read his incoming messages and
>send messages needs to physically go and use the workstation with the
>mail client. This, if you haven't guessed already, it somewhat
>uncomfortable for daily work in the office.

do you need to discriminate between the "office" mail and the
"architect" mail? If so, what factors identify the difference?

> The requirements are that all messages, inbox and sent, would be
>  available to access from all of the workstations and that it would
>  be possible to send messages from all workstations, also. This is
>  still using the single account provided by the ISP.

well this is really fairly simple. Use fetchmail or an equivalent to
get the mail from the ISP. It will feed mail to an MTA, likely exim4
using a smarthost setup (one of the main configuration methods
available through debconf) and allowing relay from the LAN, and then it can feed mail to various
mailboxes**. Finally a run an imap server to provide that mail to any
client on the LAN. Install IMAP-capable clients on all the XP
workstations and set them all to use that server as their outgoing
mail hosts and you should be done.

Looks something like this for inbound mail:

ISP servers -> fetchmail -> exim4 -> mailboxes** -> IMAP server (I
like dovecaot).

outbound:

workstation -> exim4 -> ISP smtp servers

** if there is a way to discriminate between mail for different
   people, then you could inject procmail or its equivalent between
   exim4 and mailboxes step to sort that mail appropriately.