Re: [Debian-User] Something wrong with udev / usb?

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:12:18PM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using kernels 2.6.23 and 2.6.24 (debian stock), and on them I
> can't get my usb external disk to work.  There's no /dev/sd* device
> showing up, although I have ehci-hcd and uhci-hcd modules up, I also
> installed usb_storage and usbatm modules just  in case, but nothing...
>
> This used to work automatically with udev before (as soon as I
> connected the usb device, I got /dev/sda or /dev/sa1, not sure which).
>  I'm not sure with which kernel this stopped working.  The ones I have
> available are just these 2 I mentioned...

Do you see the device in lsusb ? If not, don't blame udev . Do you see
its partitions in /proc/partitions ?

You also mentioned a frontconnector. At least in some systems that
connector is bad. In some systems it is unmasked, and therefore has
lower speed. In a few other systems (like some VIA systems we have at
work) it it a reboot swtich - you plug anything to the USB, and the
system reboots.