Re: [OT] beefy steel cases

Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>:

>  Some people off-list have found me some low-MHz computers and will mail
>  me the boards with CPU + memory etc.  One is a Tyan dual Pentium
> {133|166}.
>
>  Now I'm looking for a great case in which to mount it (them?).  Starting
>  with wikipedia on EMR shielding, and surfing fro there, I've learned
>  that steel is much better for this than aluminum of the same thickness,
>  and the thicker the better (see skin depth).  Wouldn't you know it: my
>  Athlon64's case is steel frame with thin aluminum panels.  So, I guess
>  its case should be changed too.
>
>  Asthetics don't matter.
>
>  I'm wondering if in your travels, have any of you seen a case (tower,
>  desktop, or rackmount) that is:
>
>  -- of heavy steel frame and panels.

Sun Ultra 30.  Thing must weigh a ton.

>  -- lots of non-hot-swap drive space (unless hot-swap trays are included
>  or readily avilable).  Front-accessible bays: floppy (old-board bios may
>  come on a floppy), CD, plus perhaps room for a future tape unit (2
>  half-height bays).

Two Sun drive bays, and about two nondescript 5" bays.

>  Front-panel USB is not important, especially if it has extra rear slots.
>  Front-panel sound is not important.

No USB.  It has a sound card, though I've never heard anything from it.

>  All the front panel needs is a power switch (preferably covered against
>  accidental pushing) with an "on" light, and perhaps a "drive" light.

You won't like the power key on the Sun keyboard then.

>  If this rings a bell, could you let me know so I can track one down?

It's yours if you pay shipping.  It runs Debian Etch, OpenBSD, NetBSD,
and OpenSolaris.  17" Sun monitor included, ca. 250 Mb RAM, Plextor CD-R
drive and Sun cartridge CD-R, DDS3 tape drive w 12 cartridges and head
cleaner cartridge, all SCSI I/O.  I've a UPS that goes with it which
sounds like a vacuum cleaner.  All 64 bit RISC/Sparc.