Re: Icedove news

On 02/09/2008 07:31 AM, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> I recently started using Icedove for mail & news (until now, I only used
> Iceape or a hacked Fedora Seamonkey version).
>
> I have some problems with "news". I have subscribed to a few
> newsgroups offered by the news server at my ISP (news.planet.nl).
>
> Each time I click on a newsgroup (say, alt.html) a window pops up
> asking if I want to subscribe to this newsgroup (to which I am
> already subscribed). If I say "yes", a side-effect is that in the
> "newsrc" file (in my case ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/default.lgh/News/
> newsrc-news.planet.nl) a new line is created for this newsgroup.
> The newsrc file therefore tends to grow without bounds, with many
> duplicate lines.
>
> Also, and because of this, it is impossible to unsubscribe from
> newsgroups. If I try to unsubscribe, the number of duplicate lines for
> this group in the newsrc is diminished by one. But as there are still
> many left, the next time I start icedove I am still subscribed to that
> group.
>
> Do other list members also get these "do you want to subscribe" popups
> when using icedove for news?
>
> Regards, Jan

Hi Jan -- No.  On up-to-date Etch, using icedove version 1.5.0.14pre
(20071018), there is no problem here.  You could close icedove, move
your ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/default.lgh/News/ out of the way, and let
icedove rebuild it upon restart.  Then re-subscribe to your groups.
I've never had your particular problem, but this solution has worked for
re-setting subscriptions and message-read data for me before on earlier
versions of thunderbird.

Regards,
Ralph