Re: wrapper script issue

ChadDavis wrote:
Side bar:

As i was just trying to clean up my hackish maneuvers in /usr/bin, I noticed that there are two packages installed. One is ruby and one is ruby1.8. The plain ruby seems to do little more than install a ruby link to the versioned ruby binary. Is this all it does? What do you call this kind of package?

On Feb 8, 2008 4:08 PM, Bob McGowan <bob_mcgowan@symantec.com <mailto:bob_mcgowan@symantec.com>> wrote:

    Bob McGowan wrote:
     > Ken Irving wrote:

< elided stuff >

Debian calls it a "dependency package", which depends on the default version, ruby 1.8, which is also a package.

So, install "ruby" and you'll get 'ruby' and 'ruby1.8'. I don't know what happens if you just did 'ruby1.8', perhaps none of the 'ruby' related files would get installed.

And I suspect some of the 'ruby' based post processing has to do with creating the symlinks.

But I'm not an expert in the latter part, I just checked the 'ruby' package for its description to get the type info.

--
Bob McGowan
Symantec, Inc.