doesn't open office support (Word's) inline comments?

Given I didn't receive anything useful to a similar enquiry before
(below) but yet think that I can't be the only person doing this I'll
try one more time (or maybe I should put it in as a 'bug'/RFE?):

Essentially, MS Word has comments -- can add text with another pane (cf
footnotes) appearing listing all the added comments.

Isn't this feature compatible with OpenOffice Writer?? I can't get it to
work :(
That is (a) there is no sep window pane at the bottom with the notes
(they do seem to appear in a hovering box if the mouse is held *exactly*
over the invisible note - but that's not very usable); (b) there seems
to be no way to edit said notes; (c) there seems to be no way to add
notes from OpenOffice (the 'comments' aren't the same thing IMHO).

Bestest of thanks, Michael