Re: [OT] dialup modemspeed change

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 09:29:53AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 02/03/08 08:57, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
I've changed the physical location of the Sid box and the telephone
number that is being used to dial the ISP.

Everything else is the same.

Now the connection is at a lower speed than before: average 3000 B/s
while before it was 4500 B/s.

The sound of V92 dialup modem on connecting has changed: it used connect
right away, now it makes more additional sounds.

Is this due to the quality of the phoneline?
Yes.  Anywhere from the CO to the inside wiring of the building your
box is in.

Anybody savvy on dialup lines?

You're probably too far away from the telco's D/A converter to get 56K.
Welcome to dialup-for-the-rest-of-us.

But before the move I got 56K and was 5km from the center of town. After the move I don't get 56K and am 10 blocks from the center of town. But who knows where the D/A converter is.

It also can depend on the quality of your modem.  Some modems are more
resistant/tolerant of noise on the line than others.  I use a 3Com (USR)
Courier (NOT sportster).  These V-Everything modems (external serial)
are supposed to be the best in the world.  New, they cost hundreds of
dollars.  I purchased mine off eBay for $50 (+ S/H).

Nowhere near that:
Amigo AME-CA95 56Kbps RS-232 $21.99
but it's all I've got and they don't sell external serial modems around here.

Hugo